18 March, 2008

Oh, yeah, this blows.



Between 2 marathons last year I got hurt.

I kept on training and ended up the week after San Jose in a world of hurt.
My left leg was on fire and any weight put on it sent me into searing pain and tears.
When I finaly hobbled into the Dr's office she could not figure out what was wrong and told me to rest.
Which I did.

Good ignorer that I am the pain went away and as the old joke in our house goes, it only hurt when I poked at it.
So I didn't poke at it. And I didn't walk anything over 300 yards for almost 2 months.

The new season started and I bought new shoes, hated the news shoes, returned the new shoes and loved the old shoes.
Big. Mistake.

3 weeks ago the TEAM podiatrist visited and I mentioned the leg. It was decided I'd visit him to see what was going on.
By Monday of this week the pain was at a 7 according to this cute scale.

X-rays were ordered and I was told to not train, at all, this week. And the shoes had to go as they were worn out.
Is that ever hard. Yes I was in pain but I needed my walkies!
Wednesday I saw my x-rays as they were taken at my own clinic and that was another mistake. I thought I saw a stress fracture and visions of a cast and no half Marathon were on my mind all Wednesday night and I was in a pretty bad mood Thursday.

I dropped off the films at the Dr's and as of Friday have to hear from him. I'm going for the old 'no news, is good news' head in the sand approach until I see him on Monday.

Meanwhile I have new shoes, inserts and tomorrow there is a gorgeous walk ahead for me in Santa Cruz.
I'll take it easy by walking slow, today I walked for 30 minutes at a 19 minute mile pace. That's 3.5 minutes slower than my average pace but I'll take it.

71 days intil San Diego!

1 comment:

Isis said...

Hi Tiggerr, I read this post via your link over at ravelry, and UGH! This does indeed blow. I am so sorry to hear about your pain and your injury and what it means for your running. I know how incredibly agonizingly hard this must be.

Wishing your patience and a good recovery!