I love this gadget so much I've gushed it's praises over and over again.
What it does is incredible for me.
I'm the killer of all pedometers and wasn't in the price range for a Garmin (satellite watch time keeping thingie)
What the iPod and Nike do is keep track of how much you have walked, calories and time. It also keeps track of your pace and I have found it to be pretty accurate.
I bought my first Nike chip in May 2007. Calibrated it and went on training, did San Diego Rock and Roll and lost my Nano and the receiver.
I did still have the chip but without the receiver it was useless. I was heartbroken.
The race was in June and we went on vacation in July.
I replaced my Nano in early July and when we came back in August I started to walk again.
One day as I was checking my walks online at Nike my race was entered in my totals.
The way info gets sent from the Nano/chip to Nike is through iTunes, you plug the Nano in and presto your results are online.
Having no physical possession of my lost Nano the only explanation had to be that the person who 'found' my Nano and wasn't HONEST enough to return it to the event coordinators had plugged in my Nano.
What ticks me off to this day is that I lost my Nano on a Team bus, aren't we supposed to be family?
Anyhow, Karma is a sure thing so whoever has it will meet fate down the line.
But the plot thickens and not in my favor.
The Nano I had bought online was 'gently used' and seemed to be working quite well. I bought a new receiver and coasted happily through all my trainings.
Public service announcement...if you buy this gadget make sure you calibrate it to the quarter mile correctly.
I'll go into 'why' in a bit.
September came around and the receiver started having hiccups.
It would at random be found by the Nano or in other cases just did not excist.
I returned to the genuises (term used lightly) at the Apple store and they fiddled with it, threw their hands up and gave me a new Nano.
Sweet right?
While I was waiting they drew up the receipt and I paid no attention to the name of the owner. That was me, right?
Fast forward to 3 weeks ago, the new Nano had serious issues. Battery issues.
I went back, was told I had no more warrenty but I could get a NEW Nano for $60.
By now I'm regretting the fact I never bought Apple stock.
My genius drew up an order form and asked me if I had a local number? I asked..A local number, why?
He pointed to the receipt and showed me that the adress and phone number were in New York.
Worse, it wasn't my name listed as the owner.
It then hit me I was sold a stolen Nano.Quite an awful feeling.
But it also means that whoever has my 1st Nano knew my name and could have tracked me down through TEAM. With a last name as Dutch as mine, easy thing.
I received my 4th Nano last week and calibrated it on the track.
And realized I had cheated myself out of some things.
My pace was a lot faster than 2 weeks ago, I went from a 17.5 minute mile to a 15.5 minute mile.
Walking my regular pace.
Turns out I calibrated Nano 2 & 3 by just walking around the track and taking that one lap as
my quarter mile while in fact I was messing up by walking more.
This resulted in the Nano 'thinking' I had less mileage covered and a slower pace.
Not only was I short miles, I was also frustrated by my slow pace and no improvement.
It's fixed now and Saturday when we do the 2 hours I should cover close to 8 miles.
As for the Nano I bought online, it's been reported to where I bought it from and the seller is being investigated.
And I've been paying it forward.
Because Bad Karma sucks.
No comments:
Post a Comment