13 May, 2007

*insert title here*

I was sitting here trying to think of a good title for my latest walk but it just wouldn't come.
This Saturday marked the end of my 15th week of training (I think it is 15, I've lost track) and also another increase of mileage and a test to see how my time would be.
I was giddy the day before and felt a bit scared. I was going to walk 12 miles!
Last week we started the trainings at 6:30, no more 7 a.m get up at 6:15 anymore.
Nope it was getting up at 5 because it was an hour drive.
Blurry eyed I stumbled into Starbucks, got my coffee and drove to my carpool buddy's house.

The walk was at a location where we did the 8 miles (see March 25th). That was a tough one for me. I walked a lot of it by myself, 5.5 miles, and then met up with M. who is doing the same marathon as me.
The Friday before I had decided I'd do my best to get a good time but to not hurt myself. I did the water before, went to bed early (and didn't sleep a wink)
I hadn't seen M. for the last 3 weekend trainings as she was out of town. She asked me Saturday if we could walk together and I gladly accepted.
We set off at a slow pace as directed by coach.
To say I was feeling the 'love' of the first 3 miles is lying.
I was walking but somehow M's pace was too fast. I told her we needed to slow down and we did. At mile 4.5 there was a slow but steady climb. A KILLER climb.
We were huffing and not talking much at this point.
EVERYTHING I had done in the last 15 weeks didn't come close to the feeling of burn in my calves. However everything I learned did come in handy and as soon as it leveled off, after an agonizing half mile ( it felt like 2 miles) flat land felt like heaven.
Then we had to do the same steady climb again for another half mile.
At 6 miles we turned around and it was all downhill from there. Bliss!

At mile 8 I finaly started 'feeling' the road. My feet were listening to me and it felt good. We did a quick potty break and pushed on.
Mile 9.5 M. became very quiet and I sensed she was having a bit of trouble. We were still keeping pace but she was falling behind. I didn't think I should leave her behind and we were doing a good pace anyway so I slowed down a bit and talked her through the remainder of the walk.

2.5 miles later we finished.
Our time?
12 miles in 3 hours and 29 minutes!
This included:
*stretching, 5 minutes.
*2 potty breaks,3-5 minutes each
*waterstop 5 minutes.

Food consumed, 1 Lara bar. 1 package of Sport Beans and 3 bottles of water (75 ounces)

Look how pretty the view is at mile 2!


I took pictures and as soon as the film is developed I'll share!

No comments: