16 February, 2007

Walking is not for the faint of heart.

A friend of mine told me last week that walking my marathon was fine but could I run it instead?
It would be more of an effort he felt.

My active mind had a field day with this query, did I realy work less hard by walking my 13 miles?
I gave the question a fair amount of thought and have decided that for me walking a 13 minute mile right now is an effort worth being proud of.
As a teen I was a fast runner, with my height 5'5" at age 14 I was pitted against the boys and would beat my younger brothers in many races.
But as I got older I got more lazy. Running felt clumsy and odd.
At some point I was fast walking to the point of almost running but I still detested it.

I've tried it, honestly, but it feels like I'm bumbling along and looking silly.

Walking the way we are walking is not your mall shopping walking. It is quite hard and involved. Sure it's not as sportive as running but it is STILL a great effort.

Maybe in a few weeks I'll try running but for now walking is it.

2 comments:

Patty said...

Walking is just as good as running. It's more about the amount of time you put in, not how fast you move. Actually, as we get older, walking is probably better and safer than running, everyone is different. Stick with what you like!

Mari said...

Hey Patty,
Not intending to change anything.

We had a long discussion with Team about this and we're all agreeing (ofcourse) that walking the way we walk is not your mall shopping walking.
Allthough...my speed of walking has picked up. My poor kids have to run to keep up.