23 January, 2007

My view on exercise and other torture

I have to share my ideas about fitness. It.Sucks!
Never raised with exercise, I had a heart condition as a child which left me out of P.E. a lot and made me the brunt of a lot of teasing.
Imagine a 4 day fieldtrip where everyone biked to the youth hostel and little sick tigg is in a car. I begged my dad to let me bike but he wouldn't budge.
Having no foundation for exercise I never took a liking to it.

The national "sport" of bicycling everywhere that is so common in my home country (the Netherlands) proved impossible and quite dangerous in the US. I had to give up biking after being in a rather severe accident in 1989.
After that I walked, a lot, that was one thing I liked and could do.

Later on when I started working at a gym there were these brief spells of actualy working out but I always did it 'wrong' and hurt myself because I had no clue. I failed the lifeguard test even cause I could only swim the doggy paddle.
In 2002 I started training for a 5k walk and finished in an awesome time! I kept walking but in September of 2002 I suffered a torn tendon in my foot. I ended up in a cast for ages.

By now I'm starting to sound like a wreck but it was after a car wreck that made me want to go on and 'do' this half Marathon.

I had just signed up for Team in Training 2 nights before I got in a rear end accident. My neck got banged up.
Now the old me would drop out but I've decided to stick to it. I'm getting EXCELLENT care (thanks T!) and I feel I can do it!
Walking is actualy the next step (pun intended) in recovery.

So, I might be getting older but I'm so lucky to have lived to 46 and the fact I'll be able to walk for a cure and research for blood diseases makes me so proud!

No comments: