15 October, 2007

And that makes 2 half marathons completed!

As of Sunday I have officialy completed two half marathons in 3.5 months!
Seeing that in print has me pinch myself, I walked 26.2 miles in a race!

Leading up to the Rock and Roll in San Jose I decided to train by 'myself'. No more TEAM support.
I did walk with friends but at some point they were not going to walk over 8 miles.
In hindsight and with the outcome of this half I think I did well with my training and I learned a lot about what to do or not do next time.
I am going to need a team of some sorts with a training schedule and a common goal. I will not cut back for holidays, I did for our trip to the Netherlands and that was a 3 week setback.
I did come back from no training for 3 weeks in less than 2 weeks but it was hard.

But on to the San Jose Rock and Roll!

The alarm went off at 4:30 and I was on the road at 5:15. I was elected to drive which was fine. I was awake!!
My walking buddy G and I arrived in San Jose at 7:15 and went through the usual pre-race things. It was rather cold and we didn't want to shed our outerwear too fast but by 7:40 we checked all our warm goodies in at gear check and went for a short walk.
I have to admit G stretched better than I but I was anxious to start.

At 8 we crossed the start line and it was ON!!!
I heard my name called and our family Dr was right there running the race too!

The first 3 miles were good, we chatted, the weather was nice and we enjoyed the surroundings.
No tightness in muscles or soreness.
By mile 8.5 I felt sluggish. I had eaten my pretzels with peanut butter and I think the digesting of those were making me slower. I took some of my sport beans and we plugged on.
By mile 10 I got the spirit again.
G's friend called us at mile 11 as he was following us online and he was updating us on how we were doing.
I had stopped looking at my nike-chip at mile 2, it was useless and slowing us down.
He told us we had been speeding up and taking seconds off at every checkpoint.

With 'only' 2.1 miles to go we decided to go for it and get some speed going.
Husband and kidlets happened to be just at that point. I heard my son call my name (mom) but we had to go on.
So hubby shot this picture as we were racing past.







We walked hard and in the end I shaved off almost 8 minutes since San Diego.

No comments: