29 May, 2007

Things I've learned the last 18 weeks.

Mind over Matter
I was told 99% of endurance racing is in the head, the 1% is the actual walking.
At first this seemed a bit off, wasn't it the other way around?
But over time and with a lot of reflection, (when you're alone on the trail there's plenty of time to think) it came to me. It's true.
Every part of a walk is a bit Zen for me.
The night before you eat well, you drink your water and you put your clothes out.
Getting up at 5:30am is only tough the first two or three times. By week 15 you kick that up a notch with 5am wakeup's for the last 4 trainings.
(at this stage in the training I'm waking up at 5am every weekday too, period. I just go back to sleep)
Breakfast,water and lace up those shoes.
The walk itself is different everytime. In the beginning there's the initial tightness and a bit of anxiety. There's anticipation for the miles ahead.
I compare the motion of my feet with this


Perpetual motion without much 'help', you put one foot down and the other will follow. Repeat till the end of the trail.

Works for me!




Let go of the negative.

Sounds easy enough but it can be hard to not give in to negative thoughts.
There are plenty reason to be down on the trail, it can be cold, warm, your legs hurt,you're slower than molasses. You name it, it's in your head.
Bet you've always wanted to know what goes on in my head, right?
When I'm not talking to my walking mate I have a mantra.

I'm strong, my feet are moving graciously,everything is just going smooth!

Or words simuliar.

I notice things around me and I remark on them, not out loud don't want to freak my partner.
Yesterday I encountered a small falcon sitting on a fence. A little baby smiled at me and a guy gave me a thumbs-up.
All little things but they make a walk a great walk.

(to be continued, I have a job to go to)

No comments: